Freitag, 29. Dezember 2017

The Upside of Unreqited - Becky Albertalli

Summary: Seventeen-year-old Molly Peskin-Suso knows all about unrequited love—she’s lived through it twenty-six times. She crushes hard and crushes often, but always in secret. Because no matter how many times her twin sister, Cassie, tells her to woman up, Molly can’t stomach the idea of rejection. So she’s careful. Fat girls always have to be careful.

Then a cute new girl enters Cassie’s orbit, and for the first time ever, Molly’s cynical twin is a lovesick mess. Meanwhile, Molly’s totally not dying of loneliness—except for the part where she is. Luckily, Cassie’s new girlfriend comes with a cute hipster-boy sidekick. Will is funny and flirtatious and just might be perfect crush material. Maybe more than crush material. And if Molly can win him over, she’ll get her first kiss and she’ll get her twin back.

There’s only one problem: Molly’s coworker Reid. He’s an awkward Tolkien superfan with a season pass to the Ren Faire, and there’s absolutely no way Molly could fall for him. Right?
  
My opinion: The book from my may Owlcrate Box was a light and easy read. It's a story every girl in her adolescence will understand very well. Molly is seventeen and she never kissed a guy before. She is chubby and has a low self-esteem so she just can't imagine that there is a guy in this world who would fall in love with her. On top, her sister and best friend falls in love for the first time and suddenly she has no time to spare with Molly anymore.
I liked the book soo much. I totally remember how it was to feel the puberty for the first time, to feel awkward and weird and at the same time taking the first sly looks at the boys....you all know it. ;)
I mean...it's totally normal to never have kissed someone at the age of 17 but it's also normal as a teen to think it's unnormal. :D Am I right? So Molly is a very authentic character. And also in general, the collection of characters seems very natural.

But there's this awfulness that comes when a guy thinks you like him. It's as if he's fully clothed and you're naked in front of him. It's like your heart suddenly lives outside your Body, and whenever he wants, he can reach out and squeeze it.


I immediately fell in love with Molly and Cassie and even more with Reid. How cool can a boy be? Nerd and proud of it I would call him ;). Everybody who knows me, would tell you, that I have an obession with Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Eragon, The Name of the Wind, His Dark Materials and all the other great fantasy stories. I could read the books every month and I love daydreaming about all the different worlds in the books. So I am the first one, who can feel a connection to Reid.

"I don't know. I just don't care that much?"
"About impressing Girls?"
He blushes again. "No. It's just ... I am who I am, you know? I'm not ever going to be cool." He shrugs. "But it doesn't really bother me."


Beside the lovely story I also like the fact, that Molly and Cassie have two moms. Their moms are lesbian and it's okay for everyone in the book. No need for discussions or something near it.
We need more books with those subliminal statements!

Last but not least the relationship between the two sisters was carved out in a good and unterstandable way. The relationship between siblings is always a very special one. They know best how to hurt each other but they would also die for the other one. Becky Albertalli found a great way to show this special relationship in this book.

I like the title despite the fact that Molly isn't really "unrequited". But as I mentioned before, it's part of the adolescence to feel so. The cover is eye-catching and the two bolts symbolize the different feelings of Young adults for me. So thumbs up for both.

Did you unterstand? You need to read this book!

Would you read this book again? Oh Yesssss!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Wenn du auf meinem Blog kommentierst, werden die von dir eingegebenen Formulardaten (und unter Umständen auch weitere personenbezogene Daten, wie z. B. deine IP-Adresse) an Google-Server übermittelt. Mehr Infos dazu findest du in meiner Datenschutzerklärung und in der Datenschutzerklärung von Google.